If you think you are suffering from depression at work, and fear of speaking out your problem as you may think it might affect your job, then you’re not alone. Before the symptoms become worst affecting your professional and personal life adversely, you need to get help immediately.
Depression is a serious mood disorder, which causes constant feeling of sadness and loss of interest in doing work. It affects the way we think, feel and behave, leading to variety of emotional and physical problems. According to the World Health Organization, depression is one of the leading causes of disability worldwide.
In today’s busy work schedule life, chances are there that you may get affected from major depression symptoms at your workplace. There are many situations or reasons why you can get depressed at work which include:
- Job insecurity
- Unreasonable job expectations
- Unpleasant work atmosphere
The situations or reasons will vary from person to person, and it completely depends upon individual’s attitude and the way one deals with these situations. Here are some tips which will help you to manage your work well when you are dealing with depression illness.
Recognize the signs – Symptoms of depression differs from person to person but there are some common signs and symptoms which will help you to identify. Therefore recognizing these signs of depression is the first step in dealing with depression.
Signs of depression:
- Tiredness and loss of energy
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Loss of self-confidence and self-esteem
- Feeling anxious all the time
- Sleeping problems
- Loss of appetite
- Incorporating bad habits like smoking, drinking, drug abuse, etc.
Take care of your body and mind – Once you recognize the signs of depression, you need to workon them to reduce their effects on your life. This can be done by following these tips:
- Eat healthy – Incorporating healthy, nutritious and well-balanced diet regularly, even while working at office, will help to regain energy and feel better. This will reduce the symptoms of depression.
- Get enough sleep – Studies have shown you feel more depressed if you’re sleep deprived. Sleeping helps to relax and distress body and mind to great extent. Therefore, getting enough sleep at night will help to feel refreshed in morning.
- Exercise regularly – Regular physical exercise will make you feel good as this releases stress-relieving hormones in your body. When you feel depressed at work, get up and move or engage in some stress-relieving activities like yoga during non-official hours. Yoga act as a best stress reliever. Yoga promotes proper breathing pattern and helps to strengthen muscles. It also improves overall blood circulation and body’s metabolism. Thus, regular practice of yoga and better lifestyles can help you to overcome depression symptoms faster and work more actively in offices. Regular exercise is a powerful stress reliever. Aerobic exercises, which helps to raise your energy and heart rate, sharpens your focus and will relax your body and mind.
Along with regular exercise and diet, you need to take proper treatment procedure if you think you are going through major depression symptoms.
If you have a bad flu or fever, you’ll take time off to recover, right? And incase if you suffering from diabetes, you will take treatment to stabilize it. Depression is no different from any other chronic disorder. Hence it is as important for person going through depression to take proper treatment to maintain productive life at work.
Therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), counseling and psychotherapy are recommended if you are suffering from intense depression.
How Texas Medical Concierge can help?
Texas Medical Concierge offers such working professionals priority access to one of the leading International Clinic – The Menninger Clinic with best experts in mental well-being. The Menninger Clinic is a leading specialty psychiatric hospital which treats adults and adolescents with complex mental illness such as anxiety, severe mood, personality and addictive disorders.
Texas Medical Concierge also offers benefits of complementary services like yoga sessions to deal with mental problems like depression.
Remember, employees who are fit and more physically active will always show higher work quality and better job performance!
For more information, please contact www.texasmedicalconcierge.com